Is My Employer Allowed to Take Money From My Check for Uniforms? By on July 16, 2015

Many employers require their employees to wear uniforms. Are employers or employees responsible for the cost? The short answer is, it depends. The federal Fair Labor Standards Act and subsequent regulations govern the payment of wages, the most notable aspect of which is the minimum wage. The question of whether or not an employer can require employees to pay for uniforms, either directly or by payroll deduction, depends on whether the practice would interfere with the payment of the minimum wage. The FLSA considers the cost of uniforms as a business expense, not a part of the employee's wages.

The first inquiry into whether or not an employer has correctly or incorrectly withheld wages in payment for a uniform is whether or not the clothing involved is in fact a uniform. Under the FLSA, the three main categories of uniform clothing are as follows:

  • clothing that displays the employer's logo;
  • clothing that might be considered a costume; and
  • clothing that is distinctive in terms of style or color.
Generally, the less specific the clothing, even though required, the less likely it would be considered a uniform. A good test is to consider whether the clothing might be worn by the employee for occasions other than work. Khaki pants, button down shirts, polo shirts, blue jeans, or other types of common casual clothing would not be considered a uniform.

For employers, the withholding of wages for the cost of uniforms can be a problem when employees are earning the federal minimum wage or only slightly above. In such cases, the deduction of uniform costs from wages could result in the wage of the employee falling below the required minimum. For employees earning enough to offset the cost, there would be no prohibition from making such a deduction. Included in the cost of uniforms is any specialized upkeep such as dry cleaning. If an employee must incur cleaning costs, he or she would be entitled to reimbursement to the extent the minimum wage for the workweek was not met.

At Tipp & Buley, we have over 55 years of collective experience in employment-related legal matters. If you believe you've been paid less than the minimum wage by your employer, please call us. We'll put our experience to work for you. Call 406-549-5186 or visit us online to set up a one-on-one consultation..

Related to This

mountainside with M on it

Tipp Coburn & Associates

Our attorneys have been fighting for Montanans since 1959. Over the years, we have represented more than 7,500 clients and helped them recover millions of dollars in compensation. We are affiliated with renowned legal organizations, including The National Trial Lawyers and the Montana Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers

To schedule a free consultation with one of our knowledgeable attorneys, request a case review online or call us at (406) 549-5186

Contact Our Staff

"Torrance represented me in a very complex breach of contract/wrongful termination case ... Extremely knowledgeable and professional. I can't recommend him highly enough."

Rate, Review & Explore

Social Accounts Sprite
Google map image of our location in 2200 Brooks Street  Missoula, MT

Missoula Office

2200 Brooks Street
Missoula, MT 59801

Closed Today

(406) 549-5186 Send a message