Our Missoula Workplace Sexual Harassment Lawyers
Our personal injury, criminal law and employment law firm was founded in Missoula in 1959. At Tipp Coburn Lockwood, P.C., we believe that every employee should feel safe to go to work. Our lawyers have been fighting for justice against workplace harassment on behalf of clients throughout western Montana for more than 60 years. If you are experiencing sexual discrimination or harassment at your job, our workplace sexual harassment lawyers will know what to do to help make it stop.
Examples Of Sexual Harassment In The Workplace
Sexual harassment can come in many different forms. Actions that are overtly sexual in nature can be difficult to miss. But sexual harassment can also be subtle. Examples of sexual harassment in the workplace include:
- Outright and unwelcome sexual advances or requests for sexual favors
- Anything that would qualify as sexual assault, including unwanted touching, fondling or even rape
- Verbal harassment and bullying behavior that is discriminatory in nature and based on gender, sexual orientation or someone’s gender identity
- Jokes or derogatory comments with sexual overtones or of a sexual nature
- Quid quo pro exchanges that make workplace advancement contingent on sexual favors
According to the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), these sexual actions or overtones do not need to be directed at any one person specifically, but can include jokes or derogatory comments made about a protected group as a whole.
Steps To Take When You Have Witnessed Sexual Harassment In the Workplace
If you are a witness to sexual harassment in the workplace, there are steps you can take to intervene on behalf of the victim. For example, creating a distraction or diversion may allow the victim an opportunity to get to a safe place. Reporting suspicious behavior to management or human resources can also go a long way to making a difference in your workplace environment. Federal and state whistleblower and employment laws will protect you from retaliatory action by your employer.
Steps To Take If You Have Been Been Sexually Harassed At Work
If you have been the target of sexual harassment by your employer or in your workplace, there are specific steps you can take to protect yourself and your job, including:
- Do your best to make it clear that you would like the unwelcome advancements and harassment to stop by saying no
- Report the behavior to your manager, supervisor or human resources department
- Document the behavior by keeping track of dates, details and specific notes
If you have attempted to resolve the issues and have reported instances of sexual harassment at your job to your employer by speaking to management or the human resources department, and no action has taken place to curb the harassment, you may have a claim for workplace harassment.
Consult With A Sexual Harassment Attorney For Free
Our lawyers at Tipp Coburn Lockwood, P.C., offer free case evaluations and initial consultations. Call our offices at 406-389-4215 or send us an email through our website to schedule your free appointment. We look forward to hearing your story and telling you more about how we can help you with your case.